Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Joaquin Phoenix on Letterman

  1. #1
    Inactive Member buckeye_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 18th, 2006
    Posts
    1,124
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Joaquin Phoenix on Letterman

    I personally think it was all a joke, but some are saying that this was actually for real. You decide I suppose.

    YouTube - Late Show - Where's Joaquin Phoenix? - 2/11/09
    [I]I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech. [/I]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Joaquin Phoenix on Letterman

    Andy Kaufman is back.... Phoenix has flown the coop

  3. #3
    Inactive Member SkoalSpitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2009
    Posts
    242
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Joaquin Phoenix on Letterman

    There was som evideo of him rapping and falling of the stage or something. He's been saying he is really giving up acting for rapping. I'd say he has a new movie in the future he is setting up.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Joaquin Phoenix on Letterman

    I hope this doesn't happen to everyone who portrays Johnny Cash in a movie, sort of like the Superman curse or something. Seems as though he has gotten into some stuff his late brother used to.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  5. #5
    Inactive Member burton2019's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2004
    Posts
    7,723
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Joaquin Phoenix on Letterman

    its a work..hes filming a "mockumentary"....casey affleck is filming it



    he does have a kick ass beard though

  6. #6
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Joaquin Phoenix on Letterman

    here's what somebody else said on a website

    There's substantial evidence that he's making a film, probably in connection with Casey Affleck, who keeps on following him around with cameras. People keep on comparing it with Andy Kaufman, but the two are entirely different. Kaufman's point was essentially that all celebrities are just personas: he viewed his fame as something fake and so tried to bring comedy (truth) to it through stunts that also damaged his status.

    Phoenix is approaching it from the point where celebrity is a very real thing, and his "stunt" seems to be based on a decline within it: the absurdity seems to lie in the public/media and their reactions. Phoenix's stunt is darker and more subtle, and much more damning to society. It is both amazing and sickening how a celebrity growing a "hobo beard" can dominate public consciousness over, say, actual news.

    People have compared it to Spinal Tap, but you have to remember that Phoenix must have known that the death of his brother due to drugs would be linked to his own increasingly bizarre behaviour. I think what we're seeing is a masterful performance that has more in common with Ledger's Joker, who also sought to hold a mirror up to society, than it does Borat.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member buckeye_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 18th, 2006
    Posts
    1,124
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Joaquin Phoenix on Letterman

    Quote Originally Posted by steer View Post
    I think what we're seeing is a masterful performance that has more in common with Ledger's Joker, who also sought to hold a mirror up to society, than it does Borat.
    Well I think if anyone can show us something like Ledger's Joker, than he is the man for it.
    [I]I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech. [/I]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Joaquin Phoenix on Letterman

    He's a great actor, so he could definitely pull this off. Now I do think it's possible that he's just messed up. I really cannot tell if it's an act or not, but it was pretty hilarious and the beard is awesome.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member SkoalSpitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2009
    Posts
    242
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Joaquin Phoenix on Letterman

    Who is a great actor?

  10. #10
    Inactive Member buckeye_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 18th, 2006
    Posts
    1,124
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Joaquin Phoenix on Letterman

    Joaquin Phoenix.
    [I]I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech. [/I]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •